Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Social Security Could Have Promoted Job Growth

This month I am the "Alumni Guest Blogger" for the Marquette University Law School Faculty Blog.  Its a pretty good blog even without my participation and I encourage you to check it out.

In my first guest post, I write about how the new tax legislation has chosen an indirect route to job growth through the Social Security Tax cut for employees.  Giving the tax break to employers rather than employees could have done a lot more.  Don't get me wrong, anyone who pays Social Security Tax will be happy to see the impact that the one year reduction in the tax will provide in their paychecks.  However, if the new tax law is really supposed to be about job growth (as suggested by its title: Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010), it could have done more with the Social Security Tax cut.

To read about how the Social Security Tax cut really could have directly promoted job growth, read my post entitled: The Social Security Tax Cut And A More Direct Route To Job Growth.

While you are there, stick around to read more about what the school is up to (i.e. bringing on Russ Feingold as a visiting professor) and to consider interesting legal analysis.

No comments: